Tue, 11 October 2022, 10:00 – 11:30 BST. What should net zero action on climate change look like for Africa? Join us for a conversation with African experts
This is a key decade for Africa as it will determine the effectiveness of its efforts in achieving sustainable and climate resilient development and growth.
The recent emergence and strengthening of the global net zero agenda has led to important discussions on what role the African continent should play in moving the world to a net zero future, despite its far lower historical emissions than other parts of the world. COP27, to be held in Egypt in November 2022, is expected to provide a platform for discussions on how African countries should continue engaging with global stakeholders on climate action, with themes such as adaptation, loss and damage and climate finance expected to take centre-stage. A push for greater commitments on net zero by African countries is also expected to emerge.
This webinar brings together African experts to discuss what net zero action on climate change should look like for Africa. The experts will reflect on the current landscape of net zero and overall climate action by state and non-state actors in Africa. The discussions will also focus on what this landscape means for Africa’s position and action on global emission reductions relative to other continental and pre-existing priorities, such as the need for sustainable development, poverty reduction and adaptation to climate change.
Panel speakers will be:
- NJ Ayuk, Executive Chairman, African Energy Chamber and CEO, Centurion Law Group
- Rachael Akosua Antwi, Group Head of Sustainability, Environment and Social Risks at Ecobank International Incorporation
- Anne Cabot-Alletzhauser, Co-Founder and Practice Director of the Responsible Finance Initiative (RFI) at the Gordon Institute of Business Science, University of Pretoria
- Felix Kalaba Kanungwe, Professor in Environment and Development, Copperbelt University of Zambia
- Jessica Omukuti (Chair), Senior Research Fellow, Oxford Net Zero
This event will take place on Zoom. Please register on Eventbrite and you will be sent a Zoom link ahead of the event.
This event is the second in a series organised by Oxford Net Zero’s Fellows. Keep an eye out for other events in the series, announced soon on this website and our social media channels.
This event is the second in a series organised by Oxford Net Zero’s Fellows. Future events can be seen below. Register your interest by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- From Best Practice to Policy: Ensuring high ambition for net zero regulation
- Integrating Net Zero Scenarios into Sector Planning
- What is and what isn’t getting in the way of geologic CO2 storage for CCS